Friday, February 3, 2012

What year did John Rolfe, and John Smith come over where Pocahontas was in Virginia?

Was it the same year that the Mayflower came over?

What year did John Rolfe, and John Smith come over where Pocahontas was in Virginia?
Good question. The answer is 1624. As a high school history teacher at a Chicago Public School, I asked my 10th graders who the 42nd president of the U.S. was. Surprisingly, only 9 students out of the 26 students could tell me the correct answer (Clinton). I even bribed the kids to tell me the correct answer, saying "if you write the correct answer, I will give you 5 starburst candies from the reward jar." I know, teens are clueless. It is scary to think of our world in 20 years when those hoodlums are running it. Don't get me wrong, in my 17 years of teaching, I've known 13 good students. Maybe it is just Chicago, but either way public education is down the tube!
Reply:Rolfe settled in Jamestown in 1610. John Smith came to Virginia in 1607. The pilgrims came here in 1620, so it was not the same year as either of the others.


No comments:

Post a Comment