Sunday, February 5, 2012

Naturalization laws in the 19th century?

A set of my great great grandparents along with their young son (my great grandfather) immigrated through the Port of New Orleans in 1853. My great great grandfather died almost immediately upon entering the U. S. in a yellow fever epidemic. Therefore he was not naturalized. Back then when a man was naturalized, his wife and children were automatically naturalized. I know his widow, my great great grandmother, remarried. I have learned that if she married an American citizen she would have been automatically naturalized. My question is when she was automatically naturalized would her son also be automatically naturalized?



I have asked this question on the Immigration board and have received a lecture on illegal immigration and another thought I was trying to prove my citizenship.



I am a natural born American, have a direct ancestor on the 2nd supply to Jametown in 1608. That was before those Yankee Peddlers came over on the Mayflower. He was in the House of Burgesses.

Naturalization laws in the 19th century?
The answer would be yes. The children of the woman would become automatic citizens, or have excellent grounds to be granted citizenship, unless they chose to revoke it.


No comments:

Post a Comment